7 THINGS YOU SHOULD DO AT THE SCENE OF AN ACCIDENT:
You're probably reading this after you've left the scene of your car accident. But in case you're wondering whether you did all the right things at the scene, here is a look at the 7 things you should have done. Click on the links for in-depth information on each step.
1. Stop. As soon as it's safe to do so, stop your vehicle.
2. Don't Leave the Scene Early. Fleeing the scene of an accident comes with harsh consequences, both civil and criminal.
3. Call the Police. You may be required to call the police if anyone has been injured, and it's good to have an officer at the scene in any case.
4. Gather Information and Write it Down. Here's what kind of information to preserve while the incident is still fresh in your mind, and in the minds of others.
(name, address, phone numbers, insurance information)
5. Be Careful What You Say. Statements you make at the scene almost always do more harm than good. (never admit fault. . .let the police take care of that)
6. Don't Make Any Agreements. Striking a deal with the other driver is almost always a bad idea.
7. Take Photos of the Scene. Pictures are the best way to preserve the accident scene and capture the extent of vehicle damage.