Exciting opportunity in Bakersville, NC
Shane Mickey Pottery and showroom is looking for an apprentice.
What I have to offer
• Shared 500 sq. ft. studio space at the kiln site.( bisque firings, glazes, within reason)
• Shared 250 cu.ft. Anagama style kiln (min. of 80 cu ft offered. more may be avail.)
• Shared retail space in downtown Bakersville (approx. 1/6th of space).
• Working knowledge of wood-fire process, Business skills, Marketing skills, kiln building, photography and teaching.
• Sales opportunities in showroom(small commission to cover taxes, expenses)
• A community of many nationally prominent Clay artists.
• Penland School of Crafts nearby
Responsibilities and Requirements
This is mainly a work exchange partnership
• Wood prep for Anagama kiln(working knowledge of chain saw)
• Kiln preparation(shelves, posts, cleaning)
• Participation in firings
• Potentially throwing a limited number of simple production forms(pay per piece)
• Studio maintenance (cleaning, glaze mixing, clay reclaim.)
• Showroom/ sales monitoring 2-3 days a week
• Responsible for securing meals & housing. (I will help locate to best of abilities.)
Send inquires and applications (resume, images, references) to firstname.lastname@example.org
I basically see this as an opportunity for a ceramic artist with early/mid-career skills to have a place to work and a kiln to work out of along with a retail business opportunity. The artist will have guidance from a very generous and knowledgeable potter.