A & I Skyline Roofing published a note.
Pikes Peak Regional Building Reroofing Guidelines
PIKES PEAK REGIONAL BUILDING DEPARTMENT
Reroofing Guidelines to the 2009 International Code with
This information is a summary of reroof requirements. In addition to the information in this
handout, you must refer to the currently adopted codes for the complete requirements.
• New asphalt roof coverings shall NOT be installed without first removing all existing layers of roof
coverings on residential homes.
• It is a violation of Code for any person to contract or perform reroofs (or repairs more than 100
square feet) without a license unless you own the residential property AND it is your primary
• Roofing contractors are NOT permitted to repair, install, service, or replace ventilation pipes.
• Elevation of the property is listed on the permit receipt. Properties that are above 7,000 ft. elevation
require an ice barrier to be installed. This barrier must consist of at least two layers of underlayment
cemented together OR of a self-adhering polymer modified bitumen sheet extending form the
eave's edge to a point of at least 24 inches inside the exterior wall line of the building.
• Two layers of ASTM 0226 roofing felt (half-lapped) is required for roof slopes between 2:12 and
• Asphalt shingles are not permitted to be installed on a roof pitch less than 2:12.
• Stocking of roofing materials (driveway or roof) is considered the start of a project. Stocking
materials prior to a permit being issued is not allowed. Violations shall result in a triple permit fee
and a stop work order being issued.
• Our inspectors carry 16ft extension ladders. Buildings taller than one story must have a ladder
provided be the contractor. Leave a call ahead phone number in the comment box for the inspector
and they will call you to set an appointment. Access to the roof is the responsibility of the contractor
and failure to do so may result in a trip fee.
• Reroof permits are not required to be posted at the property.
• Typical asphalt roofing materials and Direct-to-Deck metal shingles on residential homes do not
require a mid-roof inspection.
• Crickets are not required on reroofs, only on new construction.
• Roof deck-plank decking (skip sheathing) must have gaps that are 1/4" or less. If not, it must be
re-decked with a minimum of 7 /16" OSB or overlaid with a minimum of 3/8" COX or OSB on top of
existing planking/skip sheathing or gaps must be filled in.
2880 International Circle, Colorado Springs, Colorado 80910 Telephone 719-327-2880 Web Site www.pprbd.org